How to Make a Volcano:
- Pack and wrap a plastic cup with old newspaper or paper towels.
- Mold the paper into the shape of a mountain, leaving the top of the cup open.
- Wrap the mountain in a single sheet of paper or foil.
- Use tape to attach the sheet to the rim of the cup (still leaving the cup open).
- Pour a few tablespoons of baking soda into the cup.
- Add a few drops of food coloring – any color you like!
- Drop a tablespoon of vinegar into the cup.
Baking soda is a solid compound made of these elements:
Vinegar is a liquid compound made of these elements:
When baking soda and vinegar mix together a gas compound explodes from the reaction.
The gas is called carbon dioxide, or CO2, and is made of oxygen and carbon.
CO2 is also the gas exhaled by people and other animals after we breathe in oxygen.
Trees and plants inhale CO2, then break it down further to create fresh oxygen for people and other animals to breathe again.